Sunday, January 3, 2010

Resolutions Shmesolutions

My 2010 Resolution: "I will finish everything that I........."

Ha ha! Although a funny Liz Lemon line, it's true. It hasn't been more apparent to me than these days I've been home with Zoey, that I have a hard time focusing! And I can't even blame it on her. Don't get me wrong, I'm extremely proactive. In fact, that's probably my exact problem; I'm TOO proactive. I always took pride in my multi-tasking abilities. But upon deeper evaluation, I realized that it's my multi-tasking abilities that get me into so much trouble. Why I'm late for everything. (Dad's standards if you're not 10 minutes early, then you're late.) It's why I have a sudden urge to put one more load of clothes into the washing machine.

In fact, I believe it's my wannabe super efficient, systematic, highly proficient brain that gets in my way. (HA!! Riiiiiiiiight.) My mind is always trying to put things into the most logical order. I need to make coffee, do laundry, put up the clean clothes, make cake balls, write on my blog, return emails, etc. Ok-systematic brain ramps up-vrrrrrrrrr (that's the sound it makes). I need to get the laundry going so that it is...well...going. I want it in the dryer before I leave the house so I don't have soggy clothes hanging out in there mildewing...again. So I go to start the laundry and notice that Sean has dumped the kids' snack bowls in there. I grab those and take them to the dishwasher. Ugh. Dishwasher needs unloaded. I start to unload it and see that one of the cups needs dried off, so I grab a towel but it's dirty. I go to throw it in the laundry room so I can add it to my pile.
But while in the laundry room I realize I never started the washing machine. I put all of the laundry in and start it. While putting the laundry detergent back, I noticed that there are clothes hanging up that need to be put away. I take them and hang them up. While in my closet I find Zoey's shoes which don't belong there, so I take them to her room. Then my stomach growls and I remember I wanted coffee. I go back to the kitchen to make coffee and find the dishwasher wide open. What the???? Why is the.......OH yeah, I was unloading that, wasn't I???? Sigh. Ok, back to unloading it. But wait! Really, I should get the cake started and in the oven for the cake balls since it takes 35 minutes to cook, then it has to cool....arg...still don't have my coffee......AHHHHHHH!!!!!!

And that's how it goes.

Rarely does anything get totally finished because I'm easily distracted. (As mom and dad make eye contact across the room and nod in agreement.) I'm now convinced that I'm secretly a character in the "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" book series. But my version is called "If You Give Macey Something To Do". It's a much more frustrating reality than the silly mouse wanting a little milk with his cookie!

So my focus this year, along with the usual "eat better", "read more", "go to bed earlier"...is to focus on finishing what I've started. NO MATTER IF THE LAUNDRY HAS BEEN STARTED OR NOT! NO MATTER IF I FIND 14 OTHER THINGS THAT NEED TO BE DONE WHILE I'M DOING MY FIRST THING! (Caps added for emphasis, not yelling.) Stay the course, shall be my motto.

Which just reminded me of the scene in The Lion King.
Young Simba: What's a motto?
Timon: Nothing. What's a motto with you?!

I've have attempted a short tourist travel down this road before. The road marked with focus, and organization, and completion. And I felt like I was met with the feeling of missing out on the other roads that I knew needed to be traveled down. But I'm doing it. I'm doing it! This year, I'm totally doing it. Wait! What was I doing again? Oh yeah...it!

Besides, if I fail, there's always next year for resolutions shmesolutions!

Until next time. Mwah!

No comments:

Post a Comment